I know what you're thinking? ANOTHER tomato soup recipe???
Yes. Another one. Do you have a problem with that?
Because you shouldn't.
This one is amazing.
In fact, it's a combination of the two and adds some pasta into the mix, as well.
If you love creamy tomato soups, you'll love this recipe!
Makes about 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 quart
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
4 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules (if you are vegetarian you can add in vegetable bouillon)
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream, warmed
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if you desire
¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 cup campanelle or rotini pasta, optional
Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until it starts wafting smoke.
2. Add in carrots, celery, onion and tomato paste.
3. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
4. Stir the flour into the vegetables (it will be pasty).
5. Add in basil, oregano, tomatoes, water, bouillon, honey and salt. Stir a bit and cover.
6. Cook for about 4-6 hours on LOW.
7. Remove lid and stir in cream that has been warmed, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente over the stove. Add the cooked pasta into the slow cooker.
8. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and top with additional Parmesan.
This is a creamy tomato soup with texture and flavor! So amazing. I loved adding in the pasta to make it a little more filling and more of an entire meal. My whole family loved this soup. If you like a creamy texture, you can always use an immersion blender to blend the chunks of veggies. 5 stars.