*This is a photo/recipe update of this delicious tomato basil pasta soup recipe from February 2013. The last photo didn't make it look very appetizing so I forced myself to make the soup again and take a better picture :) Ha ha! We love this soup and I could eat it for lunch every day of my life. I know you'll love it too*
I know what you're thinking? ANOTHER tomato soup recipe???
Yes. Another one. Do you have a problem with that?
Because you shouldn't.
This one is amazing.
In fact, it's a combination of the two and adds some pasta into the mix, as well.
If you love creamy tomato soups, you'll love this recipe!
Click the picture to pin it!
Makes about 8-10 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 quart
Cooking time: 6-8 hours
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 bay leaf
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (If I don't have crushed tomatoes on hand I use 2 (14 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes and then I puree another 2 (14 oz) cans of diced tomatoes)
4 cups water
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules (if you are vegetarian you can add in vegetable bouillon)
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1 cup heavy cream, warmed (If I don't have cream I just use evaporated milk or even skim at times)
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving if you desire
¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley, optional
1 cup ditalini, campanelle, rotini pasta (I love love using the little ditalini! They are so perfect for this soup)
Salt and pepper
1. Add carrots, celery, onion, tomato paste and oil to a microwave safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Stir every 90 seconds. Transfer to a slow cooker.
2. Stir the flour into the vegetables (it will be pasty).
5. Add in basil, oregano, tomatoes, water, bouillon, honey and salt. Whisk a bit, until flour and veggies are combined. Add in bay leaf and cover.
6. Cook for about 6-8 hours on LOW, or until veggies are soft.
7. Remove lid and stir in cream that has been warmed, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente over the stove. Add the cooked pasta into the slow cooker.
8. Salt and pepper to taste and add in additional basil and oregano, if needed. Ladle into bowls and top with additional Parmesan and croutons.
This is a creamy tomato soup with texture and flavor! So amazing. I loved adding in the pasta to make it a little more filling and more of an entire meal. My whole family loved this soup. If you like a creamy texture, you can always use an immersion blender to blend the chunks of veggies. 5 stars.