Makes 6-8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 quart
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup shredded carrot
2 1/2 cups cubed russet potatoes (if you want it really potato-y then put in 3-4 cups)
1/2 cup real bacon bits, divided
1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 2 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon
4 cups water (or if you prefer, use 4 cups chicken broth instead of water and bouillon)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/3 cup sifted flour
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk, warmed
8 oz grated pepper Jack cheese, divided
2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until softened. (if you'd rather add the onion, garlic and oil to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute). Add to the slow cooker.
2. Add in carrot, potatoes, 1/4 cup bacon, bouillon, water, pepper, thyme and flour. Stir a bit, until flour is dissolved and cover.
3. Cook on LOW for about 6-8 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
4. Remove lid and stir in diced peppers, evaporated milk and 4 oz of the cheese. If the soup needs to be thickened, stir the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until smooth and then add to the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH until the soup is thickness desired and peppers are cooked through. (about 20-30 minutes).
5. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with remaining cheese and bacon sprinkled on top.
Recipe inspired by The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner
Another delicious potato soup similar to this one and this one. But different because it has the yummy peppers and pepper Jack cheese to give it some added flavor. I loved this soup and so did my family. I'll make it again, for sure! 4 stars.