Makes 6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 quart
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (13.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules or 1 tsp shirley j chicken bouillon
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup pearl barley or brown rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine tomatoes, beans, cream of chicken soup, chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, bouillon, water, bay leaf and barley in slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours, until chicken is cooked through and barley is soft.
3. Remove bay leaf and discard.
4. Remove chicken and place on cutting board. Shred or cut into small pieces. Add back into slow cooker.
5. Salt and pepper to taste and add additional seasonings if needed.
I put this together on Halloween and it was so easy to get started. It ended up being really hearty with the beans and barley and it kept my trick-or-treaters going for 2 + hours. Yes, yes we do have a lot of candy at our house right now. I liked the consistency of it but there was something (a spice?) missing. It just needed a little flavor boost of something. 3 1/2 stars.