Makes 4-6 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
1 Tbsp dried onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1 (4 oz) can mushrooms (or 4 oz sliced fresh mushrooms)
2 Tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
1 1/2 lbs frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
1/2 cup half and half, warmed
Garnish with Parmesan cheese
1. Use this trick if you have a slow cooker liner.
2. Put the onion, salt, thyme, garlic powder, soy sauce, broth, bay leaves, mushrooms and tapioca in the slow cooker. Give a little stir.
3. Put the chicken on top. Tie up the liner and cover the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours (probably closer to 6 since the chicken is frozen).
4. Untie the liner. Turn slow cooker to HIGH. Remove bay leaves and discard. Break up the chicken into pieces with 2 forks.
5. Add in the tarragon.
6. Combine the 2 Tbsp water and 2 Tbsp cornstarch in a little bowl. Stir until smooth. Pour into the slow cooker and stir.
7. Add in warmed half and half.
8. Cook on HIGH without the lid for about 15-30 minutes, until sauce is thickened.
9. Serve chicken and sauce over rice, potatoes, noodles and top with Parmesan.
I made this Mushroom Tarragon Chicken for the Really Big Cooking Show a couple of weeks ago and my husband was loving the leftovers. He requested something similar last week. You know me, I couldn't just make the same recipe that I already made...so I changed it up a bit. I really simplified the recipe to make it super duper fast to get in the crockpot in the morning. It has pantry friendly ingredients that you'll have on hand ( I swapped out the fresh onions for dried and the fresh mushroom for canned). I also put the the chicken in the crock totally frozen. Which saves a step of thawing and gives you an hour or two of extra time in the crockpot in case you're going to work or going to be away from home for a while. Hope you enjoy! 4 stars.